7.10.2010

pro bono, but not so

Ever since I was a kid, I have always believed in the essence and beauty of the spirit of volunteerism and initiative. I volunteered to do tasks in all my subjects even though I have tons of work to do because doing nothing does not appeal to me. In fact, I produced one issue of our high school paper almost all by myself - got help from time to time from other staffers. Yet I never boasted about it. I never paraded the amount of work I have done in our high school yearbook, in my undergraduate thesis (who I finished with the best thesis partner in the world Mark Holandes Ubalde), or in any task I was assigned.

Naturally, I brought this spirit in me when I finally got a job as a professional teacher. Ever cheerful and high, I would never say no to work given me. Like what I said, I love doing something all the time. Dull moments do not exist in my vocabulary. I always believed that we need to live life to the fullest. Sleeping deprives us of wonderful moments in life. So sleep less.

In spite of this passion for volunteerism and doing things, when one starts working, one can't help but look for a commensurate payment for the work that you are doing. But don't get me wrong. Even if I am saying this, I do not mean that I lost my sense of initiative altogether. My actions, I sincerely believe, have spoken much of what I can and willing to do, with or without remuneration. But because I am human, I expect that I will be remunerated for something that I am doing, which I agreed to because I believe that I'd be able to apply several skills and talents which I possess; plus, this is also a new experience.

I just hope things turn out fine eventually. It gets frustrating sometimes, especially when you know you give it your best yet no appreciation is shown or expressed, either through shoulder taps or cash flaps.

1 comment: