2.03.2011

of butterflies and swans: a Black Swan movie review

You are lying on your bed and as you watch Nina Sayers transform from being the delicate, fragile White Swan to becoming the riveting, breathtaking Black Swan you find yourself sitting up and holding your breath, wondering where you are going to be taken next into this deep swim.

And like swimming for 1500 miles, the story and screenplay started off really quietly; plunging to a slow, smooth dive. As you swim along, you find that the water smoothness is becoming too comfortable, a little roughness is needed. And so you are kept interested watching the whole movie. The screenplay made us all swans - stretching our necks, wanting, waiting for more.


Inside, butterflies attack me in my tummy, as I find myself revolted by what I was seeing on screen. And it is definitely and absolutely not because of an abysmal performance of the actors. Rather, I found myself being pulled in by the Black Swan, swallowed and hypnotized by the enthralling depiction of Natalie Portman's role.

As the movie ended, I find myself lying on my bed and pillows, trying to process what had just happened, trying to check that my sanity is still intact, and that I had just finished watching what could be one of the must see films of this decade.

Kudos to Director Darren Aronofsky and to the writers Mark Heyman, Andres Heinz, and John McLaughlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment