2.22.2011

Matters of the Heart: Inflammations and Balloons

No. This is not going to be another emo post or a rant about the pains and perils of loving. This time around, I shall refer to the actual organ: the heart.

You see, I was born a blue baby. I have a congenital heart disease which until very recently I referred to as heart murmurs. Last Saturday, Dr. Norberto Tuano diagnosed me as having Ventricular Septal Defect.  I was not surprised because I have been reading up about the possible reasons for my heart murmurs ever since I could understand medical jargon. So when Dr. Tuano told me that I have VSD, my speculations had just been proven true.

So he requested me to undergo tests for the heart so he could get to know more of my disease and the status of my heart.

And so, after two decades, I visited once again the Philippine Heart Center. After undergoing the ECG test, I had to talk to a cardiologist. Dr. Frederick Gabriel asked me if it was my first time to undergo these tests. I told him that as a baby I might have but as an adult, yes it was the first time.

He then started lecturing me, as if I were a high school student, about the complications of my case, what form of exercises I can have, and the choices I have for the inevitable cardiac operation. He started by reiterating what I already know: that cardiomegaly, or enlargement of the heart, is a result of my VSD. Moving on, he added how an operation is needed right away. I stopped him and asked, Do I really need operation? My parents knew about this already and they should have done it before, right Doc?"

He matter-of-factly said, Well, maybe they thought I was too young and the operation might not be successful. Moreover, he said, at least you are already on that age, where I can decide for myself.

When he said that, I thought that operation is not really needed.

But even before that sobering thought finished forming in my head, Dr. Gabriel explained what can happen if I don't work on my heart disease as soon as possible: my toes, fingers, belly, and testicles will inflame, the skin surrounding my mouth will turn dark. And to make the ride of understanding my disease more enjoyable, he even created a metaphor of heart diseases.

The heart, he said, is like a balloon. If there is something wrong with it, it will get larger and larger until it either pops because of too much pressure, or it will just breakdown and release all the air out.

A round of applause. Amazing comparison. Delightful.

While waiting for the 2d Echo, I was trying to let everything sink in.

Basically, it sounded to me like the cardiologist was telling me that I have no option but to undergo operation. The only question is, what kind of operation.

I just have to wait for the results of the tests this Friday. Let us wait and see. Whew.

Life at 25. This is it. Now, I have to start eating like an herbivore.

Diet. No workouts for me, no yoga. Simple aerobic exercises.

Whoever out there can resolve these matters of my heart, message me.

No comments:

Post a Comment